Thursday, December 28, 2006

How much is facebook worth?

Is there a way of placing a monitary value on communities such as
facebook, myspace, and digg that isn't bloated? A number that is actually true to its value and not just because a board member says so ( ala facebook's 8 billion)?

Avi just posted an Introduction to his Orbital Theory: Evaluating Online Communities. If any of you would like to join in on the conversation feel free to jump right in or we can just discuss it here.

Nonetheless I think this is a very important conversation to have before we actually enter the IPO Bubble 2.0 in 2007.

1 comments:

Nate Westheimer said...

Michael,
I just posted this comment on the Worth 1000 blog, but wanted to bring it to your attention as something you might be interested in collaborating on. Check it out and let me know.
--
Hi Avi,
I'm planning on writing a post about it, but I'll give people in on this discussion a sneak peak:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pllJ9ixSOdKb_B59g3z9hWw

I've been trying to answer the Web 2.0 valuation answer in a novel way: by collecting as much data as possible. This spreadsheet only accomplishes a little (you can already see a trend that prices registered users at about $20 a head), but if anyone wants to collaborate on it with me, send me an email with your Gmail address, and I'll share it with you.